Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11

I couldn't go to bed tonight without sharing some thoughts I have had through out my day. I will always remember, so vividly, this day seven years ago. We all will. I can bet all of us remember exactly what we were doing when we heard the news. It is etched in our hearts and minds forever.

We were living on base at Camp Navajo in Flagstaff, AZ. Tom was working as a security guard there. Madeline was almost 2, and I was about 2 months pregnant with Avery. I was sleeping that morning, when Tom came in the room and woke me up. "Callie, you better wake up, something really terrible is happening". I got up and still feeling like I was in a dream, watched the horrible scene play over and over again on the news. It was so surreal. It was so completely unbelievable what was unfolding before our eyes. I don't think I got dressed that day. I was glued to the TV and to the phone, calling friends and family. I held Madeline so close to me. The days that followed were so uncertain. I can remember looking at my precious Madeline, and thinking about our unborn child, and just bawling. What would their future hold? I was so scared for them.

The world isn't much better off today. Hearts have healed, the country has moved on, but there is turmoil and pain and uncertainty all around us. Today, as I was visually reminded of that painful day, and emotionally reminded of the fear I felt as a mother, the only peace I can find is when I look to my Savior. One of my favorite scriptures is posted on our blog. September 11th was the first day that this scripture had immense and profound meaning to me. To this day, it continues to. I am grateful for the gospel, and the strength it is, and will be to our children. There will come a time when it may be the only one sure thing they have in their life. 9/11 will always stand as a reminder to me of the responsibilty I have as a mother to keep my children safe...spiritually. I can't control what the future holds for my children, but I can control what tools my children will have in the future....



2 comments:

mandy said...

I love your last thought--so beautiful and so true! Thanks for sharing that.

AudyCamp said...

i think our morning went something very similar to that. stayed in my pjs all day and held my family close. Every time I see 9 11 pictures I can't help but think it is certainly the last days! thanks for the post.

Memories