Saturday, September 6, 2008

Just call me Mommy 007

So, the girls have been "wrestling" quite a bit lately...I thought this was an activity solely designated for the boy population, but apparently not. It starts in good fun, with much laughing and giggling, a few shrieks and screams, but quickly ends with crying, and one or the other blaming the other for unfairly and purposely inflicting agonizing pain.
Now, Tom and I want to believe the girls. We certainly have done all we can to teach them about honesty, and the consequences of lying - however, being the children that they are, let's just say they have not perfectly mastered this principle... So, today, while I was cooking dinner, I heard them engaged in one of their wrestling matches in the living room. I couldn't watch them, and watch the food at the same time - and then, a brainstorm occurred! I quietly took the camera from the counter, turned it on, and mounted it on a ledge overlooking the living room. I now had 2 sets of eyes, and the best part was that they didn't know it! About 5 minutes later, sure enough, I heard Avery scream and cry at the top of her lungs. (This means she is in agonizing pain).

Madeline: Avery fell! She hurt herself! I have no idea how it happened!

Avery: YOU DID IT!

Me: Really? You have no idea? You were in there with her.

Avery: YOU DID IT!!

Madeline: Well, we were just playing, and somehow she fell off the Ottoman and hurt herself.

Me: Are you sure that's what happened?

Madeline: Yes!

Me: Well, let's take a look and see what the camera shows us.

Madeline: Wha? (mouth drops open)

Me: The camera was on the whole time, let's take a look.

Madeline: (looking down) oh maaaan!

Tom and I rewind the tape, and the truth unfolds...it shows Avery leaning over the ottoman on her belly with her head near the floor. Madeline was sitting in the chair. Madeline gets up, walks over to Avery, and pushes her legs off the ottoman, causing Avery to fall on her face. Now, I do think Avery was dramatizing how much pain she was in...but the fact was Madeline had lied, and she was caught. She knew she was caught, and she was pretty embarrassed. She sat on the naughty step for eight long minutes, apologized to her sister, and assurred us she would pray for forgiveness. I felt a little bit bad for Madeline that I caught her the way that I did, but then an analogy came to mind. We all have someone "watching" us even if we think we are the only ones in the room. Our Heavenly Father is always aware of our actions, and our behavior. We can't hide it, we can't lie about it to Him. He knows. He is the video camera. One day we may have to watch the "video" of all our wrong choices, but if we repent, we can have that tape erased. It is a simple analogy, but one that my girls can understand well. I know Madeline will think twice now before she "secretly" commits a crime. I know Avery will too... and it's not because they will fear a camera is on them, it's because they were reminded today that their Heavenly Father is always watching them. It was a lesson learned, and one that they won't forget for a very long time!

4 comments:

AudyCamp said...

ok that is such a great story!..ok not great on madelines part but just how brilliant you were miss 007 and how you dictated how it went down. I like also how you compared Heavenly Father to a video camera. Love it! I should you that video tape idea some time. I'm sure it will come in handy. BTW you look really good and I'm impressed with your sugar diet thing you're on! Good for you.

mandy said...

You are a genius! Instant replay parenting would make our jobs much easier, wouldn't it?

Anonymous said...

love it! I agree-instant replay would be great! If only we could have a camera on our kids at all times (to see the bad, and good!). Sometimes I am excited to see that "video of my life", and sometimes, I am not! Thank goodness for repentance!

Kimberly said...

What a great mom! I'm not surprised though. So I don't have Bobbie's email. I'm so lame. I'll get it though. She has short hair now above her shoulders and it is naturally curly now and beautiful. The best part is she is blonde and it looks awesome on her. Good luck with your detox. I should totally do that. I run everyday and lift weights a few times a week so I don't have guilt. But I am soooooo tired and grumpy somedays. I eat sweats all day long. Do you remember how crazy Bobbie's eating habits were. She isn't like that anymore. Her husband is a hopeless romantic like her. We always laugh at how we dreamed about the person we'd marry. Not once did we think about beinging moms. Surrendering to motherhood wasn't easy for either of us. But we are having a great time.

Memories