Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sugar withdrawal!

It is the end of day 2 on my sugar detox. The past 2 days have gone well, and it feels good to know I am only putting good stuff in to my body! I have been really really good, although I need to be drinking more water. It has been fun coming up with creative ways to eat healthy. In the past, it has been hard because even though we always have healthy stuff in the house, it is the same old stuff. The same 3 0r 4 veggies, the same 3 or 4 fruits...depending on if something was on sale at the grocery store. I made sure to buy a wide variety of fruits and veggies on Saturday, and it has made all the difference. I can't use the excuse that it is too expensive, because I saved money on not buying the usual bad snacky stuff.
So, some of the yummy meals I have made in the past couple days...yesterday for dinner we grilled mesquite pork loin (not poultry, but it was lean!) and I made a delecious pineapple salsa to go with it. I love fruit with meat...it is so yummy!! We had a salad and whole wheat couscous on the side. Couscous is great because it absorbs any flavor really well. I added a little taco seasoning to it while it soaked, and it gave it great taste! Today I made a mean guacamole and ate it with toasted pita bread wedges. The pita bread was whole wheat of coarse! For dinner we had ginger orange chicken with lime, a salad, and brown rice. I thought it was delicious! My family on the other hand are adjusting, but not with out some eye rolling! Tom is supportive, and loves the fresh fruit smoothies I have been making for "dessert" every night. Madeline wanted to try one, so after dinner I helped her make an apple cinnamon smoothie...I thought it was yummy, but she took one sip and said "blech!". Oh well, what I can expect it had little sugar in it! The only symptom so far from the detox is I have had a dull headache off and on all day. I think it is just from sugar withdrawal. It will pass, I have done this before. Anyway, it has been a fun challenge so far, and I am all about fun challenges, and my mission this week is to make our healthy meals creative and yummy. We didn't eat terribly before, actually we grill quite a bit, and have always had lots of salads, and fruit. It was all the in between snacking that wasn't so great. The desserts too. We also ate lots of refined pasta and baked goods. It's all gone now! I have had a couple of friends who are interested in joining me, and it will be nice to compare notes and cheer each other on. Onward to day 3! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the Zuchinni Bread today. Other than the sugar in it, it is pretty healthy, whole wheat flour, applesauce, bananas, zuchini, etc. We did a version of the no sugar a few weeks ago. I had a really hard time with it but I think it was good.

Memories