Friday, August 22, 2008

Farewell...until 2012





The Olympics stir something deep within us...I think it is the triumph of the human spirit that connects us to these athletes. We have all worked hard for something, sacrificed for something, and then were blessed to see that dream realized. I am certainly not an athlete, but I can still relate to them in that respect. The older I get, the more moments like the one pictured above move me. Watching Misty and Kerri play their souls out in the pouring rain was inspiring. It didn't inspire me to play volleyball in the rain (I hate playing volleyball by the way) but it inspired me to work hard at what I do...even if that means just being the best mom and wife I can be. It also reminded me of the sacrifices I have made in my life, in school, as a missionary... as a mom - there were many times (LABOR for one) where Olympic beach volleyball in the rain really would have sounded like a walk on the beach. I do hope though, now that Misty and Kerri want to have babies (not together...I had to clarify that for Tom) that they will find motherhood even more rewarding then their gold medals. Somehow I am sure they will.
The Olympics are so much more to me then just watching athletes win medals, and that is why it is so sad to say goodbye! So, Beijing 2008...thanks for the drama, the world record(s) earned by Phelps, the Chinese gymnastic babies, and all the amazing memories. We all have to admit it though...we all wanted to try just a few back flips after watching the floor routines...

No comments:

Memories