Sunday, August 24, 2008

Behold Your Little Ones...

Today was scary. It was a typical Sunday evening at our house...the girls were playing, Tom was out home teaching, and I was on the computer catching up on emails, etc.... Hayden was playing behind me on the floor. He was quiet. Thankfully, Avery came upstairs, and I heard her say "Hayden, are you ok?" I quickly looked over at him, and saw a beet red face with panic in his eyes, he was obviously trying to cry but no sound was coming out. In that split second, I realized he was choking and with lightening speed pushed Avery out of the way (Sorry sweet Avery) and ran to him. Hayden has had slight choking episodes before, I think most of our kids have, where they can usually clear it themselves with a little gagging and coughing. This was not one of those times. I stuck my finger down his throat as far as it could go to try to scoop out whatever was causing this, and I couldn't feel anything, which meant it was pretty far down. All that kept flashing through my mind was my friend who lost their only baby girl 3 months ago . She choked on an apple at church, and she died. She died! Their family has been through so much, and losing a child has to be the greatest heart ache a parent can experience. I ache for them. With their experience so fresh in my mind, all I could pray out loud was "Please, Please, Please...help!" Poor Madeline and Avery started crying, I think they were so traumatized by what they were seeing. Finally, somehow, I was able to stay calm. I turned Hayden on his stomach, pushed in to his tummy with one hand and smacked his back with the other. I pushed so hard that he finally threw up, and with it out came a penny. A penny. I suddenly realized how something so tiny and insignificant can change a life in an instant. Thankfully, Hayden was ok, but it took him a good 10 minutes to catch his breath and gain composure. It will take me a little longer I think. I am obviously so grateful he is fine, but I am equally grateful that I was reminded how precious my babies are to me. How every moment is a gift with our little ones, and how quickly and easily they can be taken from us. When Tom came home, we literally went through the entire house looking for items Hayden could potentially choke on. We also devised a new system for the girls allowance. They will no longer be receiving money from us, but paper slips stating how much they have earned. They can save their paper slips, but we will hold on to the money until they are ready to spend it at the store. Hence, no more pennies in our house...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I totally feel for you and empathize with you. I just went through my child having a seizure, and I relive those moments in terror in my mind constantly. I am glad everything turned out okay, and I am amazed at your composure and thought. Good idea about the allowance. I am now energized to go through my house and clean up small things...

Callie said...

I read your blog about Aidan's seizure. It brought me to tears, because I can only imagine the helplessness and fear you felt during those moments. I have no doubt that during those times the spirit blesses us with a clear mind so we can do what we need to do! We are so blessed to have that gift.
I will be thinking about you tomorrow as you take him to the neurologist, I am so glad Aidan is alright after that ordeal!

mandy said...

I am so happy that everything turned out o.k. for you. That is such a scary situation. Our little Mads crawls around trying to find things to put in her mouth and it makes me so nervous. You did such a great job and I am amazed at your ability to function in a crisis.

I went to high school with Molly! How do you know her? I completely admire her strength and faith. She is amazing.

Callie said...

Molly was around at Ricks...I met her through you guys! She use to hang with us sometimes, and she kept me company when I couldn't go home for Christmas. She was so much fun. I am amazed at what she has gone through, and she still manages to find peace and strength. She is a blessing to so many people.

Didi said...

Wow, Callie, how scary! I'm glad he's okay. I'm constantly telling my older kids to pick up their little things because Jake puts everything in his mouth. I actually scooped a penny out of his mouth the other day. That is so awful about your friend who lost her child from choking. Tragic. My prayers go out to her.

Tom Helm said...

I'm so proud of you Callie and how you kept your composure though this ordeal. When I left to go home teaching Sunday night, this was the last thing I expected to happen while I was gone. You are an amazing woman.

Memories