Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Goodbye Our Friend Casper








Last night around 3:30 in the morning, our friend Casper passed away. He was in bad shape when we went to bed. We made him a comfortable place to rest in the sunroom, but he preferred to be outside in the kennel, so that's where he spent the rest of his time. Tom couldn't sleep, and spent Casper's last hours right by his side. I am glad Casper didn't die alone, and I am glad he didn't die in a vet's office. He passed away at home where he belonged.


It is harder to say goodbye then I thought. It has been an emotional morning for me. Tom buried him early this morning in the side yard. A sunny spot. Casper loved to be outside, although we didn't let him out often. The girls are handling it well. It is their first personal experience with death. Madeline woke up early, and so she was there to see Casper buried. She is a strong and intelligent girl. I think for her, it was the right way to say goodbye.


The girls stayed home from school today. I thought it would be best for them to mourn at home then to have an emotional day at school. There have been some tears, but I think we are all relieved it is over, and he is free from suffering.




The girls wrote a poem this morning in honor of Casper:




Casper Was My Cat




Casper, I love;


who I will always love.


Casper was my cat,


and now he lives in heaven.




He licked my hand,


like little kisses.


This is what I will miss.




When he was a kitten,


he was really funny.


When he grew up


he got a fat tummy.




I miss him so much


that I cry.


We will miss him,


that little guy.




We will miss you Casper. Thanks for a good 10 years, and for being a part of our family. He was there to see all the kids come home from the hopsital after they were born. He loved each one of them. He has been around our entire marriage, and it is so sad to say goodbye. We will miss you.




4 comments:

Didi said...

Callie,
Sorry to hear that Casper has passed on. He was a sweet cat and I'm sure you had many good memories with him. Cats have a way of comforting and loving us when we need it the most. For what it's worth, I would have done the same thing. He so deserved to die peacefully and in a way he wanted in his own home. If he were in a lot of pain and it was evident, then I would have said to put him to sleep, but since that wasn't the case up until the very end, then I think you did what was best for him.

Tom Helm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear of the loss.

Jarad said...

I love the poem. It is so sweet.

Memories