Monday, September 30, 2013

Worth it

I use to be a glutton.  Yuck.  Looking back even a few months ago before I seriously began this journey, my husband and I would eat whatever we darn well wanted, whenever we wanted.  There was always a reason to eat junk in our family - birthday?  Yay, let's eat cake!  Hard day at work?  Let's get crazy with pizza and chocolate!  Another day alive?  Let's overindulge in dinner, again.  Too busy?  We'll just stop and get fast food.....we didn't count our calories, and we certainly didn't exercise enough to counteract all we were eating.  We fooled ourselves in to thinking that eating salad with our giganto meals, or making the occasional smoothie was making it ok.  We were trying. We actually thought we were living it up, living life to the fullest by overindulging. No wonder I gained 35 pounds over the last 5 years!!  I was in denial for a long time.  That's the first step, is realizing you are in denial.

I am ashamed that I was so irresponsible with my body.  You can't hide what you put in to your body, it shows.  Trust me.

I had to stop making excuses, because you know that's what they are right? I know them all well:  I am too busy, I have health issues, it's too expensive, I don't have support, my kids come first, I am TIRED...I have used them all.  Maybe you have to. I had to stop the excuses for my children, my spouse, but most importantly for ME.    The longer you go without change, the more you are damaging yourself - and not just physically.  I can attest that there are emotional and spiritual consequences to not taking care of your body. They are real.  Only you have the power to change.

I know it's hard, I am in the middle of it being hard.

I am down to 185 now.  I have lost 17 pounds in 7 weeks, and 28 pounds from my highest weight (non pregnant)! I have busted my butt to get here, and I still have a long way to go.  I know hard.  But I will keep going, because I feel alive, and because I am worth it.  My family is worth it.  I feel like me again.  When I look in the mirror, I am starting to recognize that girl again.

I promise you, that pizza, soda or high carb meal - those extra calories don't taste as good as feeling healthy.  They just don't. If you are struggling to stop the excuses, remember that you are so worth it, and you are BIGGER than the excuses.



1 comment:

me said...

you rock! I am a fan!

Memories