Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Thyme-Roasted Sweet Potatoes

The only thing I miss just a little with my new way of eating are white potatoes.  I am pretty sure I could live on them if I had to.  I am kind of a potato addict.  There are so many ways to prepare potatoes, and I LOVE them all.  However, I KNOW my body does not need all that white starch, so a much better option is to go with sweet potatoes.

Just how many health benefits are there to sweet potatoes?  Well, there are actually too many for me to write down, but this article will give you the rundown!  So do yourself a favor and read it, and then jump on the sweet potato bandwagon.  They are kind of amazing little bundles of nutrients and antioxidants.

When many of us think of sweet potatoes we are use to the traditional casseroles from Thanksgiving laden with butter and marshmallows.  There are much healthier ways to prepare these little gems, and here is one of them. I think I might just make them for dinner. Enjoy!!

Thyme-Roasted Sweet Potatoes




Ingredients

  • 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch-thick rounds
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 large garlic cloves, minced (I use the pre-minced garlic in a jar)
  • 1/3 cup fresh thyme leaves, plus 6 thyme sprigs for garnish
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

preparation


Preheat oven to 400°F. In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and toss. Arrange potato slices in single layer on heavyweight rimmed baking sheet or in 13x9-inch baking dish. Place on middle rack of oven and roast until tender and slightly browned, about 40 minutes. (I usually toss them halfway so they don't stick). Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with thyme sprigs. (Makes 6-8 servings)

No comments:

Memories