Sunday, October 5, 2008

Just What We Needed...

Yesterday was a tough day...just one of those "when will this ever end" kind of days! I won't go in to major details, but it was the kind of day where I fell down the stairs while holding Hayden and skinned my knee, hurt my back, and twisted my foot. The kind of day where it's your husband's birthday, and you want to make it a fun and special day, but you stab your hand (literally) while making guacamole, and have to spend 3 hours in urgent care getting it fixed up. The kind of day where you don't get to eat the guacamole, because it is brown by the time you get home from the hospital. The kind of day where you have to get a tetanus shot because of your stab wound. The kind of day, where you try to salvage it with birthday cake from Safeway, and there is a karaoke singer performing outside of Safeway, singing "My Kind of Woman" at the top of his lungs...and you don't feel like any kind of woman as you rummage through birthday cakes with your good hand. The kind of day where your baby boy cuts his lip open while throwing a fit, and bleeds all over his bedroom. The kind of day, you really just want to end so that no one else gets hurt! It really wasn't a good birthday for Tom, although we did try to make the best of it.
We needed today. So much. As you can imagine we missed all General Conference sessions yesterday. We savoured the first session today. At the end, Tom and I were both so impressed by President Monson's talk. We both felt like he was talking to us when he suggested that we focus on what is important and not get distracted by life, because life changes, things happen, and you can't relive a day. (I am paraphrasing). We were so distracted by yesterday. We were both so grouchy, and it wasn't making anything better by acting that way. We weren't looking at the bigger picture. The blessings that we do have. The bottom line is, I am so grateful for this gospel, and for the leaders of this church that speak to us through the spirit. I am grateful for truth's that are whispered to us from the pulpit of General Conference. We are very blessed to have that direction, and I am thankful General Conference has salvaged our weekend from the depths of despair!! Today is a much better day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love your thoughts. let's all look at the big picture

Sarah Rockwood said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog. That along with Monson's talk I can say I am feeling much better about staying and keeping good friends.

Mary said...

I just found out today that you had a blog. Somehow, Mary knows this stuff. I agree with you guys, its always best to step back and realize just what is important: Space Fighting.
-konden

mandy said...

You make me laugh! I know the situation wasn't funny but the way you describe it (especially the karaoke singer) is hilarious.

I'm glad that your Sunday went better!

Anonymous said...

I hate days like that! We also enjoyed conference. It was nice to not have to be at church bright and early but still be spiritually fed.

Anonymous said...

Callie:
I'm so sorry your day went so bad on Saturday! I hope your hand and back and foot are all feeling better today and I'd say to tell Tom Happy Belated Birthday but I don't know if he'd like the attention so I'll leave it up to you. :) We really enjoyed conference as well and the talk you refer to really touched us as well. There were so many great talks! It was a wonderful conference! How grateful we all are for the gospel in our lives!

Memories