Thursday, January 15, 2009

Don't Let the Library Burn Down...

Recently I had the opportunity to compile some family history from Tom's side of the family. My mother-in-law Jimmie, has albums full of wonderful old family pictures and stories. I am forever grateful to her for sitting down with me and patiently sharing these memories. I loved learning about these people, who although not my own blood relatives, are part of my husband and my children. Through the process of "getting to know them", they became part of me. I learned of their personal struggles, heartaches, and triumphs. It was a tender experience for me.
I gained insight in to the times they lived, and perspective on the time we live in. Each family tree is full of character and beauty, and it is up to us to find it.... Each branch represents a person, who despite their weaknesses and disposition, have lived their lives so we might live. It is our responsibility to learn their stories, and to share that heritage with our children, that they might know their own story...


Verda Lue Campsey (Tom's Great-Grandmother), with her sons, Charles (Tom's grandfather) and Chester, Jr. (early 1930's). Verda Lou became ill with tuberculosis in her early 30's, and died shortly after. Being a child himself, Charles remembered coming home from school each day and tending to his mother before she passed.


My mission President, Val R. Christensen, now serves as the Rexburg Temple President. He is amazing, and wise, and wonderful, and I can't say enough about him. I love him. I love his dear sweet wife Ruth Ann. He continues to keep in touch with his Arizona missionaries, and sends us updates and words of wisdom regularly. Today he sent these quotes...


President Joseph Fielding Smith said: "It doesn't matter whether your computer is able to compile all the family group sheets for everyone that ever lived on the earth, it remains the responsibility of each individual to know his kindred dead....Even if the work is done, then it is still each person's responsibility to study and become acquainted with his ancestors."

Will Durrant has stated "Let us before we die, gather up our heritage and offer it to our children."

James Dobson of Focus on the Family also encourages us by saying: "When an old person dies it's as if a library has burned down."

I love that last quote. Our family members' experiences contain volumes and volumes of knowledge. Let us learn from them, and talk with them, and grow from them before the fire comes...I am grateful I took the time to get to know these ancestors, for I have gained a wealth of knowledge to pass on to my children, and my childrens' children. I am grateful when that time comes to be reunited with our loved ones who have gone before us, that the reunion will be sweet when they know we took the time to learn of them, and to keep their stories alive.

5 comments:

AudyCamp said...

What a wonderful lesson! I love learning family history and need to be better at it. What great quotes too! I believe our ancestors intently watch our lives and we should also refamiliarize? ourselves with theirs!

mandy said...

How inspiring and slightly guilt-inducing. I love that picture and your beautiful words have given me something to think about.

BTW--My parents worked with President Christensen at the temple and they really loved him.

Christen Noelle said...

Thank you for sharing your love of geneology! I love all the quotes you shared also. It makes me want to journal more, dig into Michaels side of our family more and share stories with my children!

Thank you.

Didi said...

Thanks Callie! I love doing family history work and learning about mine and Doug's ancestors. It is so fun and inspiring and spiritual. Thanks also for being yet another reminder to get my butt out there and research a lead I got on Doug's ancestors in Poland. I've been putting it off because I have to order microfilms, but I know that is not a very good excuse. Love ya girl!

Daniel Burgess said...

Would you kindly forward our mission Pres. email or contact info. I lost contact with him years ago. Thanks
Burgess
daniel.burgess@gmail.com

Memories