Thursday, January 29, 2009

GRATEFUL

This afternoon, the girls were were "watching" Hayden while I was running up and down the stairs taking care of laundry. A good 10 minutes or so had passed by, and I called to Madeline asking if Hayden was still with her. No, was her reply. We quickly did the common "run through" of the house looking for him. He was no where to be found. In the past, this usually means he has crawled through the doggy door at the side of our playroom and in to the outdoor kennel. Not usually a big deal since the kennel is enclosed. Today he managed to push open the gate at the back of the kennel, which IS a big deal. This means he wandered around the backyard trying to get back in to the house. Another problem? There is snow in our backyard. Not a lot, but we still have a few inches in the shadow of our back door. The bigger problem? He was bare foot. We found poor Hayden screaming in pain, as he stood barefoot in the snow at the back door trying to get in. I quickly grabbed him, wrapped his discolored feet in towels, trying to fight back the tears. I was scared. I didn't know how long he had been standing there, and he didn't know better to get out of the snow. He had been there long enough though, that his feet were bright red, and his toes were an awful purplish color, and I was scared to death of frostbite. There was no time for a formal prayer, but I can promise I was pleading with Heavenly Father in my mind. I got him warmed up the best I could, I couldn't rub his feet because he would shriek in pain when I tried. I put on his cozy slippers, wrapped him in a blanket and got him some warm milk. Five minutes passed, and I checked his feet again. Still freezing cold and discolored. This is when I really began to worry. Finally after a few more minutes, and just when I was debating to do something more (call for a blessing, or take him to the ER) his toes went back to bright red, and then to pink. By this time he had fallen asleep in my arms, too tired after his ordeal to cry anymore. Madeline came in to check on him, and said "I think he will be fine mom. I said a prayer, and I felt really good after, like he will be ok". I am grateful for prayer, and the faith of a child. I am grateful that the first thing Madeline did in our stressful situation was go to her room and say a prayer on behalf of her brother. I am so touched. And, above all? I am sooo grateful Hayden still has his toes!

4 comments:

mandy said...

That boy is going to give you grey hairs! Good thing he is cute, right? I am so glad that everything turned out ok and I am touched by Madeline's faith.

AudyCamp said...

Glad he is okay-Poor thing!...oh the faith of a child. I've called upon my childrens faith more often than not. They are always such great examples to us.

Didi said...

Poor little guy- made me cry just reading it. We had a scare with Jake the other day when the girls left the garage door open and he opens inside doors now and had gone out and was heading to the street when I chased him down. Boys- gotta love 'em, but sure have to watch them like a hawk too! Madeline has always been such a sweet spirtual girl. I'm sure part of it is her Mom's example. :)

MJ said...

What a sad, sweet and touching story! Poor Hayden, but I'm glad his little toes are okay! I love when you read stories like that and they make you feel all "warm" inside. Thanks for sharing it!

Memories