Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Our Foolish Ways

Our list of foolish games and trickery this year included....

The letter
To give you some background...the girls' school is being released early this year (the first week in May to be exact) due to some remodeling projects they have going on through out the summer. When Madeline checked the mail today, inside the mailbox she found this letter from her "principal". She asked if she could open and read it. It read:

Dear parents,

Due to the construction project this coming summer at King Elementary, we have encountered some difficulties, and may have to keep the school closed the entire school year of 2009-2010. Our only solution is to have the students meet in the forest at Cottonwood Creek Park for their classes next year. We will set up chairs, and desks, and shelving for books in the tree's. Please dress your children warmly each day for school, including hats, ear muffs, gloves, and possibly snowsuits, as the weather can get quite cold. We look forward to seeing your child(ren) next year! Please meet the first day of school by the dumpster in the parking lot.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at the school in the coming weeks, or at my new office in the public bathrooms at the park.

Sincerely yours,

Cordelia Stone
Principal

I WISH I could have taken a picture of Madeline's face as she read this letter. Horror? Pain? Bewilderment? It was hard for me not to laugh out loud! I think the second time she read it through, was when it hit her... "Mom! This has GOT to be a joke!!" We all got a good laugh, when it was said and done! Oh, what a tricky mom am I?
The Dinner
We had a "Wacky Macky" dinner. Before we could eat we had to pull 3 slips of paper from our cups, that "told" us what we would be eating and with what utensil. For example, Tom's first course was ketchup, apple juice, and a cup...he was lucky he got the juice and the cup in the first round. I had to wait for my cup until the 4th course!!

Tom's second course...mac and cheese with a knife. It didn't phase him in the least!

Avery on the other hand, was not so amused that she had to eat with a baby spoon. She was VERY happy however, to get a marshmallow with her hot dog and macaroni!
After a few courses, Madeline finally got a bun for her hot dog, but had to apply the ketchup she had put on her plate with a toothpick.
We all had a lot of fun!


The Dessert


After school, I asked Madeline to run out to the garden and get me a container of dirt for our dessert. I told her I had found a new recipe for a healthy dessert, and it called for soil since it had so many nutrients. She thought I was off my rocker, and refused to eat it, but went and got me some. The girls actually ate it after some coaxing, and loved it! I don't know if Madeline would have believed it was dirt had she not gotten the dirt herself. Tom asked Madeline what part of the garden she had retrieved the dirt from..."Uh oh Madeline, that is where we put down cow maneur last year..." EWWW! YUCK!!! Which was followed by rinsing with mouthwash and, "I am worried we will get sick Dad!" Let's just say, the girls were relieved when the truth was uncovered...thank you crushed Oreo's.

Mother nature pulled out a few tricks of her own today...



The pajama bottoms


Tom usually leaves his blue pajama bottoms either on the bed, or by it, each day. I use the bed to fold our laundry on, so it is not uncommon to find both side by side on any given day. Tonight when Tom went to grab his pajama's, to his dismay all the laundry on the bed went with them. Earlier in the day I had stitched about 4 or 5 different items of laundry to his shorts. I am still waiting for his revenge...



Mission Accomplished.

7 comments:

mandy said...

You are an April Fool's Day master. I defer to your greatness.

Shanna said...

Oh man, I LOVE the letter! So funny!

AudyCamp said...

What a great tricker you are! U even got ME for a second with your letter!

Didi said...

Awesome Callie! How funny!!! You're such a creative and fun person!

MJ said...

Oh, you are GOOD!!! What an example you are! We didn't celebrate April Fool's at all, but after reading how fun you made it...it makes me want to definately do something like that next year! I love those tricks too! How funny! that letter cracks me up and the fact that Madeline actually went and got dirt for you! So great! Thanks for sharing your great ideas with us!

By the way, I've been thinking...oh dear, what if Callie signed up to make a birthday cake tonight and she needs her little circle fondent cutters!? If you need them, I'll bring them over ASAP!!! Otherwise, I'll bring them to you tonight...I hope that's okay!

Sarah Rockwood said...

I am glad Curtis isn't interested in blogging, cause I am totally stealing your ideas. You are such an inspirations;)

ablincoln said...

Callie- you are so flippin' cool! You definitely made it a day of foolery to remember. I might steal a few of those ideas too. I LOVE that Madeline got you some dirt- so obedient!

Memories