Sunday, September 27, 2009

Don't ever wear a pencil skirt to Walgreen's

So, yesterday evening on the way home from Women's Conference, I thought I would stop at Walgreen's for some milk. (My kids freak out on Sunday's when we run out of something and I won't go to the store). BIG mistake. First, I already felt weird about walking in to Walgreen's wearing my Sunday best. It's just not the kind of place you neccesarily want to stand out on a Saturday night. I quickly walked to the back to get some milk, and joined the five other people standing in line - when all of a sudden I hear "OH MY GOSH!!!! I LOVE your outfit!!!" I look over to see a cutesy store clerk staring in my direction, along with five pairs of eyes who didn't know I existed until that moment. "Thanks", I mutter, feeling a sudden urge to run out the doors. If that wasn't bad enough, she continues! "Seriously! LOVE that skirt, oh my gosh, can you turn around? Does it have a slit in the back? Is that a pencil skirt?!" "I guess so", I say, giving her a polite smile, with a slight look of warning...."Oh, and those SHOES, soooo cute!! Seriously!" Did I mention 4 pairs of eyes are still staring at me (thankfully one person has left by now). Then, the clerk yells two aisles over! "Hey, Donna! Come see this girl! (Another store clerk rounds the corner) Isn't her outfit SO cute?!" Really, this was overkill. The other store clerk nods. Feeling somehow victimized, I pay for my milk, and run out the door, before she can say another word! It was nice to receive the compliment, but one of those times where you really wish you just hadn't received one at all! Anyway, the moral of my story is, NEVER wear a pencil skirt to Walgreen's. Or heels. Or a necklace. Ever.

5 comments:

mandy said...

That is too funny. You are aware that I need to see a photo of this outfit to get the full idea--right?

Didi said...

Yeah, I was just thinking- so where's the picture? :)

Callie said...

The funny thing is my outfit was seriously nothing special, which made it even more ridiculous! Denim shirt, white blouse, brown sweater over top, tan leather heels, and a necklace. You guys aren't missing out on anything, trust me....

Rachel said...

I obvioulsy need to teach you how to react to compliments you weren't looking for. You obvioulsy go into overkill showing off and talking about the outfit till THEY feel really uncomfortable.

ablincoln said...

That's what you get Callie for having the cutest wardrobe ever!!! That is a little creepy though :)

Memories