Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired.

This is hard.  I hate being vulnerable. Like nails on a chalkboard, root canal, Nickelback on the radio kind of hate it. You see, I am a perfectionist (not by choice). I always have been, and the one thing I have never been able to control is my weight.  I hate that, I promise you. BUT, if I can help anyone else out there who is struggling with food addiction/motivation to change, and if this blogging thing keeps me somewhat accountable for my actions, then I figure I should give it a go.  So, here goes nothin'!  I hope you'll stick around for this weight loss journey, because cheerleaders are always fun to have around. Warning though: you may laugh a little, and cry a little, yawn a little, but I can't see you, so do what you need to do :)


Isn't my family cute?  This was probably pretty close to my highest weight.


My name is Callie.  I am a 38 year old mom (not sure how that happened, because I use to be young-ish) of three pretty awesome kids, and a wife to a pretty amazing husband.  I have been overweight pretty much my whole life, so let's start with that.  When I was 10 years old I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism.  I have been on Synthroid for 28 years, people!  For those of you who aren't familiar with Hypothyroidism, let me give you a crash course on the matter - it sucks.  That's pretty much it.  We can't metabolize food properly, we are tired (all of the time) we hurt (Fibromyalgia is common with it) and the best part, our bodies LOVE to hold on to weight.  We are more prone to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, anxiety and mood swings.  As if being a girl isn't hard enough, right?  Ever since I was diagnosed it has been a constant battle, although I am good at hiding it.  I keep a smile on my face, and I love life, and I love my family and friends.  Most people would never know my struggles by looking at me.  Dealing with Hypothyroidism AND having a food addiction make for an interesting ride.

Let me also mention that I am Mormon. Why is this relevant? Because along with being Mormon there are obvious things I don't partake in. I don't drink, I don't cuss, I don't smoke, I don't use drugs, I don't gamble, I don't even drink coffee! Basically I have one vice and one addiction in life, and that is FOOD.  Glorious food!! Give it to me. In the past, when I had hard a day I didn't get a glass of wine, or smoke a cigarette, or go out and party. I indulged in chocolate, or chips, or ice-cream and it was okay, because it's just food, right?  We have to eat to live, so it's pretty easy to justify inhaling whatever is around you at the time.  It's how we celebrate, it's how we mourn, it's how we live.  Society is always justifying a good food binge.

Now, don't get me wrong there have been many times in my life where I got serious about losing weight, and I was successful a couple times with crash diets, losing 15 pounds here or 10 pounds there, but it never lasted long because the diet wasn't realistic, and it ultimately ended up with more weight gain, and also that "what's the point? I always fail anyway, I may as well just be happy being chubby" feeling.  But I am not happy being chubby.  I am a fit, healthy, vibrant woman stuck inside of this body.  And I am tired. I am sick and tired, both literally and figuratively.  I am ready for change, and I will explain later why this time is different.


College days, probably my smallest at 155.  I am the one in the middle of the trunk ;)

The thinnest I have ever been in my adult life was in College.  I was 155 pounds.  I am 5'3", which makes extra weight even more of a challenge.  Let's just say, I don't hide it well.  I wasn't fat by any means, but I wasn't "thin" either. I actually have a lot of muscle, and I was pretty fit, but not "thin".  I don't think I will ever be "thin", I don't quite have the frame for it, and to be honest I am a pretty curvy girl.  I've got hips and boobs and probably always will.  I maintained that weight pretty well until I got married and had baby #1.  After that pregnancy,  I couldn't get rid of that last 15 pounds, so I was up to around 170-175.  Baby #2 came, up to 185.  Then baby #3 came, and surprisingly I didn't gain too much more weight, maybe 5 pounds or so.  And then I got pregnant with baby #4, and 4 months in to my pregnancy we lost that baby.  I was devastated.  Three years later it still hurts.  There are not many more things in life that are as painful and heart wrenching as losing a child, I promise you.  In a two year period after we had lost the baby, I had ballooned to my highest weight ever at 213 pounds. I can't tell you how humiliating it is to type that!  NO ONE has ever known my weight except my doctor.  So there it is. I was kidding myself in to thinking it wasn't a big deal.  Pardon the pun.  I thought, it's not THAT bad.  I still look pretty good.  I am still cute.  My husband would still tell me how beautiful I was, bless his heart.  I told myself I was still eating healthy most of the time (in between weekly pizza binges and trips to Sonic!)  Looking back I can see how a few things happened.  #1, I was getting older.  My metabolism was changing.  I couldn't get away with things I did in my 20's.  #2 I was using food to medicate myself. It was my drug of choice. #3 I became so overly busy trying distract myself from the pain, that I was too busy to eat healthy.  I was slowly becoming my own worst enemy.

Thankfully, I have some pretty amazing friends.  Friends who changed their lives by eating right and exercising.  They were, and still are good examples to me.  Over the past year and half, we worked out together, had weight loss classes, did boot camp and supported one another. Very slowly I managed to go from 213 pounds down to 202.  Just eating a little bit better, and exercising here and there.  Selling my cake shop probably helped too (that's a whole other story).  It's not good to be surrounded by cake when you're a gal like me! So, I was down 11 pounds, but knew I could do better than that, much better.  And then, this happened.  My husband (my partner in crime, my binge buddy, my fellow couch potato) did something crazy and unexpected.  He started exercising.  Like regularly.  Mountain Biking.  And then, he started eating healthy, and then he started climbing mountains and junk, and he started losing weight.  And then 2 months later he was down 40 pounds!  FORTY flippin' pounds!!  Woah.  Hello wake up call!  I couldn't justify my poor habits anymore, because I didn't have anyone saying "its ok".  In the past, when I had started a weight loss program, he would support me for a couple weeks, and then say "good job honey, now let's order some pizza."  And that was the end of that.  I don't blame him.  It just wasn't important to him at the time, and I wasn't strong enough to fight my battle on my own.  But now, HE was the one being the example.  He was being the inspiration, and I wanted to join him.  And so I did.  Timing is everything sometimes.  It's not about looking good anymore (although that's a plus), it's about having more energy, feeling lighter and more alive.  It's about being a good example to my kids, and living long enough to meet my grandbabies.  You see, when you get closer to 40 I think something shifts.  You start to realize this body you've been given isn't immortal, it's going to die one day, but I want to be an old lady when that happens.  I have way too much to LIVE for.


My hubby and I today (like last week).  We are both starting to feel better, and we are kind of babes too, just sayin'. ;)


This week, I think I am starting to see a difference :)

2 1/2 weeks ago I got serious.  I started fresh.  We stocked up on fresh fruit, veggies, nuts, beans and lean meats and I haven't looked back.  Our kids hate us.  I hardly cook for them anymore, and to be honest some nights they fend for themselves, because if they don't want to eat Quinoa Salad, then that's their problem. (ok, sometimes I will throw them a sandwich).  Then I started working out regularly.  Weight lifting like a man three times a week (M, W, F) and Zumba twice a week on T, Th.  I feel awesome.  I feel more fit already, and more alive, and I am not going to stop this time.  In 2 1/2 weeks I am down 7 pounds, my clothes fit better, my double chin is getting smaller, and I am out of the 200's and down to 195.  Five more pounds and I will be where I was after Hayden was born.  But I won't stop there either.  I would love to be 150.  My ideal weight is probably in the 130's, but I can't think that far, so we'll go with 150.  That's 45 pounds away.  It seems daunting, but I am pretty sure I can do it with some support and accountability. So, let's talk about it!  Leave a comment on here or on Facebook, and let's ride this journey together!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go Callie! I can't say my struggles are the same as yours, but I've never been thin, and after feeling awful through my last pregnancy (gall bladder) and being sick for months after (strep 3x in 3 months and surgery for that gall bladder), I determined to get healthy for my kids. I wanted to be able to keep up with them as they hike, run, play sports, and just plain play. It's been a process, but in the last 18 months I've dropped 30 pounds and gone from really having to squeeze into my size 16 jeans, all the way down to comfy 10s. I feel so much better. I've hiked the incline twice this summer, done long hikes with my husband and kids, and gotten all of us off the processed snacks and baked goods that were staples around here, and onto fresh fruit. My kids still enjoy the junk, but if any of us overindulge, we feel crummy the next day. It's amazing to me how much my family's activities and eating habits have changed, and the determination to be healthy really is what made it stick. I'm excited for you and your journey! I hope you see that slow and steady progress continue until you are feeling great and happy with where you are. =)

Anonymous said...

Callie, I understand your battle with weight loss. I am battleing it right now. All my life it's been a battle. My best weight was 127 when I was 17 and it lasted 2 weeks. The next best was 132 after my dad passed away...I hardly ever left my room for almost 6 months. I am at 214 now and hate to leave the house. I used to be very social, now I use my cell phone to call my house phone to get myself off the phone with people. I do not want to embarass my kids, but they always tell me that I look fine (in my oversized t-shirts) and that they love me. I try to start to diet and excersise, but when I cannot even do 1 push-up, well it's not motivating nor is it a prettt picture. So I go and something I baked or leftovers from dinner and watch an old movie. I also quit smoking this year in January...had smoked since I was 13. That didn't help with the weight...and only my dentist said anything like congrats to me (out of medical people)and I do not drink-haven't for more years then I can count. I just felt that I had to share with you. I'm not comfortable leaving my name, but this is making me take stock. Please keep up your blog. You have 1 definate follower. Thank you

helgaruth said...

Awesome,Callie.I am very much in the same place. I have just jumped back into exercise again after almost 3 years being sedintary. Time to take back our lives and our health. I will be here on this journey with you! Thank you for the courage to share. Keep up the amazing work!

Life Photography by Melissa said...

Ok now I can post a comment! Great blog post Callie! Your gonna do amazing :)

Ruth Stewart said...

I have often said we are so much alike and here I go again. This story is so close to my own. I also have thyroid issues that has led to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. It is terribly debilatating although I try so hard not to be defined by my sickness.
I have begun working out more regularly and it helps a ton but if I get out of the habit and the pain creeps in it is the LAST thing I want to do. I lost 10 lbs recently but have hit a plateau. I will definitely be a regular and a cheerleader. I crave accountability that I don't have to pay for so I think this is a great idea for you. Possibly I will do the same. I'm not sure I'm there yet though.
Thanks. Ruth

Jemsmom said...

Way to go Callie! I am so proud of you! It is such a hard shift to make, but you feel so good and it shows! I lost two babies and understand how you turn to other things in your life to numb the pain. You are totally inspiring me now to get off my behind and get moving! You go girl!!!

Kelli France said...

GO CALLIE!!! I'll be your cheerleader! I just started doing Kickboxing, yoga & running on a regular basis and I'm doing MyFitnessPal too. We can do this!

Callie said...

Thank you so much everyone! The support means so much :)

Memories